1. Brush gently working from ends toward scalp before and after washing.
2. Use a gentle conditioning/moisturizing shampoo for dry-color treated hair.
3. NEVER USE A VOLUMIZING SHAMPOO! Volumizing shampoos raise the cuticle of hair and can cause tangling.
4. Wash gently in cool to warm water. Do no scrub roughly while washing. Gently comb through with fingers in a downward motion while washing and rinsing.
5. Do not apply conditioner to scalp or bonds. Too much conditioner or very oily hair can weaken the keratin bonds and or micro rings or links .
6. It's best not to wash more than 3 times a week unless you have a very oily scalp. Over washing will dry the hair.
7. Softly towel dry by patting before blow drying.
8. Recommended products to keep your hair extensions looking great:
- Joico’s K-Pak lines of products are excellent for hair extensions.
- K-Pak Shampoo or other salon quality, moisturizing shampoo
- K-Pak Conditioner or other salon quality conditioner (the daily rinse out kind)
- Leave-in moisturizer / conditioner
- Cuticle smoothing oil (Cuticle sealer / thermal protectant)
9. If extensions become dry and damaged treat once to twice a week with Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator, dry hair, follow by smoothing with a flat iron or curling iron to seal the cuticle.
10. Brush gently with one of the following:
- Wide tooth comb (ends only)
- Loop Brush (med-thick hair)
- Boar bristle brush (med-fine hair)
11. Brush 2-3 times a day. Brushing right up to the scalp will keep tangles from forming at the base of the extension.
12. When blow-drying hair, blow downward with hair, not up into / against hair flow. Dry with fingers then style with a curling iron or flat iron if needed. It is stressful to the hair to do a lot of brushing while blow-drying, causing extension loss.
13. Swimming - Always wet hair with tap water, apply conditioner and braid hair before swimming to help avoid tangling. Avoid salt water, (the worst for extensions), and chlorine.
14. Braiding long extensions is recommended before bed.
15. NEVER GO TO BED WITH WET HAIR